Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rearranging
I came home from work today about 4:30 and went into the family room so I could go online. Well guess what.... there was no way that was happening since it was 90 degrees in there. :( The temp has been steadily climbing in that room since we have no AC in there....only ceiling fans and a window fan. It was getting to the point where I could only go in there really early in the morning unless I wanted to be really hot and uncomfortable. Well I got tired of that and moved my computer into a corner of the living room. I did not want to unplug anything (I only unplugged it from the wall) so I took it the way it was....all plugged in and put it on the office chair and pushed it in the living room. That was not easy because I had to carry that big battery back up along with all the other stuff. I finally got in there and by then it was a big tangle of cords. I got it all straightened out and then took all the cords and duct taped them all to the back of the computer table so they would not show. Before they were a real mess and I did not want that mess in the living room. Now they barely show. I still need to get a new computer desk and I'm just using this table temporarily. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to put my exercise stuff. I'll leave that for another day. We can't afford to put an AC in that back room at this time and run it all day and night so for the rest of the summer I guess we will keep it closed off.
I really do like having my computer in the living room. Now I can listen to my music in here because I have Sony speakers on it and listen to my online radio in here. :)
Work
I really wish that customers at work would not take it out on me when things do not ring up the wrong price. A man came to my register today and bought a few things, one of which was tomatoes. They rang up $1.98 a lb and he said they were supposed to be $1.50. So I called back to the produce on my store phone and they said no they were supposed to be $1.98. So when I got finished with the man he said he's going back to check the price. I told him... good idea. Then he comes back to my register and starts bitching to me about how the sign says they are $1.50. I told him he had to go to customer service to get it fixed. He stormed off in that direction and the next couple of customers all talked about how rude he was. I wish there was a sign on every register that says the cashier 1. has nothing to do with the prices 2. does not know the price of the tens of thousands of products in the store and 3. is not responsible when a price comes up wrong.
At times work feels like a prison. I'm always so happy when I get a day off but then when I am off I can't even enjoy it because all I can think about is how I dread going back to work. Most of the really nice, older CSM's have retired or left the store and it's not the same any more. Russell does not understand why I feel like this no matter how many times I have tried to explain it to him. Because of the economy I feel like I'm stuck there. I can't quit because of my financial responsibilities. Maybe I should get myself an orange jumpsuit and some leg irons to wear to work? ;) What do you think?
Waste Not
I'm ashamed to say that I cleaned out the fridge today and threw away a whole garbage bag of old stuff. I am having a very difficult time learning to cook for just two. For so many years I had to cook large meals. I still find myself doing this. Now we both have very erratic schedules and I sometimes make stuff and we eat it once and then the rest gets shoved into the back of the fridge because we don't feel like eating leftovers so we get takeout. Or Russell does something like buy a super large size frozen lasagna instead of the much smaller one we sometimes buy when we are to busy to cook. Then the rest sits in the fridge for about a week until I throw it out. I will buy a head of lettuce for something I'm making and then use what I need and the rest of it sits in there and rots and turns into something unrecognizable. I've tried freezing leftovers but I just don't like the taste of it when it's been reheated. Years ago, I even tried OAMC (once a month cooking) where you buy all the ingredients and do one big cooking session and end up with tons of meals for the freezer. I didn't really care for the taste of those either. Maybe I'm too picky? Any ideas or cookbook suggestions on cooking for 2?
Craftin
I started making a small tablecloth that you put on one of those round tables. I don't have one of those glass topped tables but I figured I could buy one. I decided I did not like it and it would take me too long to make 100 squares. Then I bought that Vanna White yarn which is almost 5 bucks a skein and started knitting with two skeins at a time and large needles and did about 12 inches of it. While I like the look of it, it's done in brown tones and looks like tweed, it will cost me about $100 to make two throws for the back of our chairs. I don't know if I want to spend that much. For those of you who knit or crochet do you think that is too much?

Well that's about it.
The toilet is still in the family room. Now I don't care because I don't have to look at it when I'm on my computer. Who wants to place a bet as to how long it will stay there?

Blessings to all those in blogland. ;)~

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry things are so bad for you at work. *Hugs*

    With the leftovers... I don't think much of reheated food either. I'll eat it, but I tried the once a month cooking thing and only enjoyed the dinner I had the first day. So what I do is buy smaller packs of everything... Small bags or packets of whatever I'm planning to eat this week, and only what I'm planning to eat this week. If I want salad then I buy a bag of shredded lettuce leaves, a couple of tomatoes (or a small pack of cherry tomatoes), and so on. If I'm planning on making something involving carrots and sprouts then I buy a small pack of each of those. You get the idea. The only thing I buy in bulk is things like pasta, which keep well. And even those I don't tend to buy huge bags of them. If Russel brings home large bits of meat, try seporating it in to portions that will work for the two of you before you freeze it.. That way you only defrost enough for the two of you. As for the days when you both are tired... Try having some pastas and sauces or something like that on hand. You can buy packs of pasta or rice with sauces, and they only take about five minutes to make (or, you can make them yourself, and they only take about 20 minutes or so). If one of you likes something that the other doesn't, then buy a smaller amount of it to allow for that.

    Hope some of that helped.

    And, by the way, For decent wool/yarn you would end up paying out about that much. The blanket I just finished (which is big enough to cover someone, but not as big as throws usually are) cost me about £30 ($60) in wool, so for something the size of a throw $100 is about right. Or, I think it is. This is why people charge so much for them in the shops... Because it costs so much for wool to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the powers that be at WalMart would appreciate your "fashion statement" but it would be really cool to see you do it!

    As for cooking for two - practice and experience... You'll pick up on the tricks - If the frozen stuff tastes funny there might be something off with the freezer, or how you are doing the packaging. I live alone and found that I need to make frozen food hotter when I reheat it.

    I'm glad you got the comptuer moved - I was starting to wonder what happened to you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara,

    I often cook for one, but I don't mind freezing or eating leftovers out of the freezer. I'm sorry that your job continues to stress you. It seems that people are considerably ruder now than in the past. Just you remember that you can't fix stupid, cure meanness, or make people care!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm struggling with cooking for two as well. I am trying to remember to immediately put some away in the freezer for another time, but as you found, it doesn't always taste the same!

    I think you should drop a potted plant into the pink toilet and see how long it takes Russell to notice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always so busy:) I have the same problem with food waste in my house. I have now started sending dinner to our neighbor, that way we really dont have leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...but then when I am off I can't even enjoy it because all I can think about is how I dread going back to work..." It is now 5:18 on Sunday evening and I'm hearing that and feeling it - - loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indigo Incarnates

    It's been getting hot and muggy in Baltimore too. We don't have central air conditioning, so only two rooms in the house are ever cool. Guess where we usually are as a result (if you guessed "those two rooms" you'd be correct!)

    Are you doing anything for Litha Sabbat? May you have a pleasant Summer Solstice. :)

    ReplyDelete