Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sometimes You Just Have To Have Faith

For the past month at Russell's work they'd been talking about whether to keep the place open. They came up with a compromise where they would only keep 2 drivers and then the people that did not usually drive like the boss and some other guys in the office would drive the tankers. Well they picked 2 guys that had been there the longest and the rest were layed off. Since Russell was only there for a year he was not one of the ones they kept. Well that lasted about two days. One of the guys that they kept was originally hired to be a salesman and couldn't hack it and didn't like to get dirty so he quit. So... as Russell was going to the unemployment office they called him back. They changed it all around there so that the drivers have to be on call 24/7 for 7 days a week and everyone has to be on salary so no matter how many hours they work they don't get any overtime. It is still not a very stable job situation. Obama is trying to pass a bill to stop any new oil exploration so there are no new rigs going up. It makes it very difficult for anyone who is any way job related to the oil industry to make a decent living. While Obama takes the whole entourage of limos and secret service to Five Guys's burgers to buy lunch for the White House Staff, (I saw this on a TV show about life in the white house) and the taxpayers foot the bill, there are people out there struggling to just make a living.
There are people out there way worse off than we are. What would really be awesome would be if Russell's ex wife would decrease the child support he is paying for TWO kids when one has not lived with her for two years and now she is now 18 and just recently graduated. Supposedly their son is living at Job Core so she has no kids at home. But she still collects that money. If she didn't, she'd have to go out and get a job. God forbid! Karma. I love that word. For every action, there is a reaction. We will just sit back and watch what happens. ;)
Despite this situation we are doing OK. Better than OK. That's because we have faith.

When it rains, it pours. Recently we decided to get a home phone after living about a year with just cell phones. They (the cable company we get the Internet through) called Russell and told him it would only be $6.95 a month. So for that price he said yes. They also said there was no installation fee. Then he gets the bill and instead of the $42 it's supposed to be, it's $80. There was a one time charge with that that they did not mention but not counting that it would be $63 a month. What a rip off. We didn't even want a home phone in the first place but only got it because it was so cheap. It's canceled now and he brought the modem back.

Then I got ripped off by the Oklahoman newspaper. I paid for 6 months of Sunday papers and they used that check that I paid for to draft my bank account and take out money monthly after I'd already paid. I finally got that straightened out.

Last night Russell's cell phone fell out of his pocket while he was working and was ruined. Luckily our phones are insured so he only had to pay $50 for a new one.

Lets see....what else. Oh yeah, I decided to open an online account for Redbox so I could pick movies before I went to rent them and then I get to the machine at McDonald's and it's broken. Since that is where I reserved them, I had to call them up and stay on the phone for quite some time. I was a satisfied customer since they gave me free codes to rent the movies at a later time.

OK I can't only write about complaints. So....
I have tiny little crookneck squashes on my plants already. And some of the seeds that I thought were no good are coming up. I wanted to plant spaghetti squash but could not find any plants or seeds at the store. Russell found a four year old packet of seeds that I had bought way back and I planted them but after 2 weeks and nothing came up I figured they were not going to. Now I have 6 plants coming up. I'm not sure if it's too late for them to be growing, but I'll give it a try.

3 comments:

  1. The (hopefully not) every day aggravations of life are enough to make one go postal if they can't see some humor in it - somehow.

    I'm glad Russell is back to driving. Our government is such a mess - they really need a super-sized downsizing.

    Glad your old seeds sprouted! With your green thumb I bet you will be knee (or neck?) deep in spaghetti squash soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Hugs*

    Like you said... It never rains, it pours. Glad you got most of it straightened out though. And that's great about your plants. Hope they keep doing well for you. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many good thoughts coming your way today and every day! Enjoy your posts as always. Take some pictures of those baby squash!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete