Saturday, August 1, 2009

Surprise


Russell called me outside to see something in the garden and this is what he showed me. Huge zucchini that was hiding under the leaves. I did not even think it was getting pollinated but I was wrong. These things are over a foot long. The watermelons are growing and the tomatoes are also.
Russell has been working up in the attic. He's putting in new boards that brace the rafters so it will be done before he hires the roofers. It's a really steep roof so I imagine that it will be a difficult job. The attic is pretty large inside, he said it's about 14 feet at the highest point. He's going to make a storage room up there . But first he has to put in some of those pull down stairs. There's some weird stuff up there. I already wrote before about finding the wedding veil and garter up there as well as some old books that we threw away and a large pressure canner. Yesterday he brought down a big box of old Duncan Hines apple muffin mixes. There are about 8 boxes of that stuff. What a weird thing to put up in the attic and I'm surprised it did not attract rats. He also threw down a bunch of old gift boxes someone was saving and a big stuffed Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. He said there is more stuff but I'm too chicken to go way up the ladder to climb up there. I'll just have to wait till he takes it down. Anyhow....it's really hot up there. He's got three fans running right now . He's on his second load of lumber. The roof was bulging out on one side and you could see it from the outside and I was pretty surprised that he actually fixed it from the inside.

Alex and I went to a nearby city the other day and went to a store called Hastings. We had those stores in NM and I did not know we had one here until I saw it on the way home from Texas a couple of weeks ago. I love that store. They have books, music, movies and video games. I got a couple of books and got Alex some PlayStation games. There are no book stores around here and this one is probably the closest but not matter what I have to drive about 30 minutes to get to one.

That's all folks. Have a good day!
Blessings.

18 comments:

  1. Oh the zzuc's look great!! Now you will be busy, I picked three today and gonna make some more bread with mine and maybe fry one up!

    It is simply amazing what you can find in an attic! Good thing you guys are cleaning it out! I so seldom go up in ours and Lord only knows what is up there now!

    Well back to my cleaning and stuff.. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great about the zucchini. :)

    It's amazing what some people put in their attics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy! That Russell sure is a good Mr. Fixit guy! I bet you'll be glad when he gets all the "stuff" out of the attic finally. Muffin mixes!?? How odd!

    Glad you found a good book/music/game/video/whatever store. We used to have one like that up here--not the same chain, tho. Media Play. Gone now. Fun stores!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATTACK OF THE GIANT ZUCCHINI!! Run for your lives before they eat you!!

    Glad the garden is taking off now! If they aren't too starchy, you could batter and fry up some of those zukes for Russell after he finished the roof!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey... any chance the Pink Toilet will be put up in the attic? The next home buyer would see it and acratch their heads for ...well... forever!

    :) Glad the Zucs are growing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo! home gardens are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would make some good zuchinni bread:) I love the idea of finding old things in an attic, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those garden suprises are the best huh? You can make zuccinni bread now! IWe had a Hastings back home in Gillette, WY but there are none here, of course there are many other book stores though.
    You always have intersting day to day postings!!!
    I stayed away too long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Barbara: The zucchinis look great. Makes me want some. Hope all is well for you in OK. I am back in FL again. Boat was hit by lightening and we had to get back down here. We have a spirit fair coming up next week that I may go to. Will fill you in later. My mom's favorite store is Hastings. They have one in Altus not too far from where she lives. Stay cool and take care. D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebag: How did your bread come out? Did you end up frying any?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita: He sure can fix a lot of stuff. He amazes me at times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa: I need to look out there today and see if I see any more growing. This time I don't want huge ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Intense Guy: I wish I'd thought of that! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ginger: Good to see you after such a long absence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donetta: Sorry to hear that your boat got hit by lighening!
    The spirit fair sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete