Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday

Inspiration
It was Monday morning and I went early to the Y to work out. A little old lady came in while I was there. She had a hunched back and could barely walk and she was probably 80 years old. I could not believe what I saw. She proceeded to get on all the weight equipment (adjusting it accordingly) and did a full workout. While she did not spend a lot of time on each piece of equipment she did a full body workout. And she did not stop there either. After she was done she got on the treadmill and walked at a good steady pace. I was afraid she was going to go flying off but nope, she held her ground. This woman was so inspiring, at her age and condition to do what I saw her do. She is not sitting at home like so many elderly do and by exercising and she's also keeping her mind sharp because that is another benefit of exercise.

I've been working out almost every day for about an hour a day. Right now I'm concentrating on cardio so I can get more energy and I do some work on the weight machines as well. I'm not worrying too much about my eating just yet until I get into the habit of exercising again. They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit. At first I had to force myself to go workout. While I don't really look forward to doing it yet, it is becoming less of a chore. I always feel better after a workout and I went again this morning.

What happened at work
I was on one of the registers....one of the speedy checkouts. I bent down to get some more bags from under the counter and put them on the carousel thing. A few minutes later I was checking out a customer.....one of those conservative looking Christian types. (the ones that usually come in with the woman who wear the long dresses and cover their hair). Anyhow I happened to look down and noticed that my shirt was halfway unbuttoned. Crap....must have caught it on the bag thing. I couldn't hide it so I said ooooppsss my shirt came undone and I buttoned it back up. He winked at me and said ...that's OK it's getting a lot hotter out anyhow. He made what would have been an embarrassing moment into something funny. You just gotta laugh about this stuff.

7 comments:

  1. That lady would be inspiration for me too! Awesome.
    I've been working out now faithfully for 4 years and I still dread it every day! However, afterwards I always feel better and I always feel terrible when I slack off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. halo incarnates

    indigo tries to keep the body functioning correctly. tries hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Island Spirit for working out for 4 years! That is quite a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Indigo/Halo! Good to see ya. I'm going to go on over and check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU probably made taht guy's day flashing him like that!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. *grin* That little old lady DOES sound like a very inspiring person, to keep on plugging away like that, regardless of the physical issues working against her.

    And, I'm glad the guy was able to be light-hearted and ok with getting flashed, and didn't make you feel ackward about it.

    Hope you have a FANTASTIC Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a few people who could learn a lot from that little old lady (myself included, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete