Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday Stuff

After living here for almost 10 months I finally made it to Aldi. That's a grocery store for those of you that don't know and it's way cheaper than other stores. The reason is because they save money several ways. 1. you have to pay a quarter for a shopping cart. They don't have to have a cart pusher because everyone puts their carts back so they can get their quarter back. 2.They don't stock on shelves, it's on pallets except for the frozen and dairy stuff.3. They don't have a large variety of each item . After all who needs 50 different brands of canned tomatoes to choose from? 4. They pay their cashiers a lot more than other stores so they stay there and there's not a high turnover rate. 5. They don't supply you with bags....they just put the stuff into another shopping cart after checking it. You can buy bags from them (.10 for huge plastic one with handles or .5 for paper). I brought my own reusable shopping bags that I have been collecting.

So anyhow it took me this long to get there because I really hate driving on the freeway! Even though Russell bought me a GPS when we first moved here I still get nervous driving places I don't know. I don't know why I hate the freeway because when I lived in MA I drove to Boston many times and it didn't really bother me. So anyhow I decided to drag him along with me to make sure I could find it OK but I did drive. Despite the fact that it took about 40minutes to get there ( a city called Moore) and I had to pay $1.25 toll each way, I still saved a lot of money. I went in and got a ton of stuff (I'm stocking up) and only spent $85. So I decided to go back in after we unloaded all that and spent another $45. Some things are higher than they used to be when I shopped at the Aldi in NC but that's to be expected with this economy the way it is and they are still way cheaper than shopping where I live.

When we first got there I decided to check the GPS to see what other stores were around there. I put in Hobby Lobby and it turned out there is one only about 4 miles from Aldi. I was so excited about that! I love that store and have not been to one in years. There's a big mall right near there too as well as a Ross and I love those stores. I figured if I could find a Barnes and Noble store I can make a whole day of it and go there, to Hobby Lobby and then to Aldi before heading home. This is coming from someone who does not even like to shop....unless it's at craft stores or bookstores. Oh yeah and I found really cheap gas station that is cheaper than the ones around here and there is no ethanol in the gas. I figure I'll go to Aldi twice a month (when I get paid) until I'm well stocked up on everything and then I'll go once a month.

Since I now know I can drive on the freeway which is really not like a freeway at all except where you go through the toll booths....maybe I'll even be able to go to Unity Church.

It's cold here again with some wind. This morning it was only in the 30's and right now it's only 43 degrees. It's always nice and warm in the house though and we keep the doors closed to the rooms we are not using during the day. I can't complain at all about this chilly weather when we have so many super nice days. We do need some rain though, there is fire danger because it's been so dry and the wind does not help either.

My schedule at work has been so screwed up! I think a different person is doing it and he's not doing well at all. First off, I had to work 8 days before I got a day off. Then I was looking at my schedule this morning and I noticed that they have me working 3 pm to 11 pm one day and 7 am to 4 pm the next day. There's no way I'm going to be able to do that. When I work till 11 pm (which I don't mind at all) it takes me till about 2 or 3 in the morning to get to sleep. I have to go home and unwind, I just can't go home and go to bed. Then when I work at 7 am I have to get up at 4:45 am so I can drink enough coffee and wake up enough to go into work at 7. Can you see the problem here? I'd only get a couple hours of sleep. I'm going to call them today and tell them I need to come in earlier on the day I have to work till 11 pm so I can go home earlier.

I've decided I'm going to strip all the paint off the kitchen cabinets. I never did anything about them when I was painting the kitchen because I could not decide what I was going to do about them. They have so much paint on them....even over the hinges...that they won't close right. So I'm going to get some stripper and take all that paint off. I still have plenty of the green paint left from when I painted the kitchen so I don't have to buy anymore. I think they will look much better when I'm done. :)

Well that's about it for now. Hope y'all have a wonderful day.
Blessings.

7 comments:

  1. Indigo Incarnates

    Well, I sure do like the idea of a retail chain that actually PAYS their employees a halfway-decent wage. Imagine how much better our country would be if the CEOs stopped trying to be billionaires at the expense of making everyone else dirt poor!

    I got a phone-GPS last week. It really helped out when I had to drive to Greenbelt National Park for my initiation rite.

    Blessed be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indigo Incarnates

    Well, I sure do like the idea of a retail chain that actually PAYS their employees a halfway-decent wage. Imagine how much better our country would be if the CEOs stopped trying to be billionaires at the expense of making everyone else dirt poor!

    I got a phone-GPS last week. It really helped out when I had to drive to Greenbelt National Park for my initiation rite.

    Blessed be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found your way without any difficulty and that you seem to have actually enjoyed your shopping trip. :)

    Doesn't take a genius to figure out that someone - even someone who could just go home and hop in to bed - needs more of a gap between shifts than that. Hope you can get your time table fixed so that you'll be able to get a decent chunk of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aldi's is a great place to shop and a haven for students. They actually drove Walmart to the border in Germany (where Aldi's is based) because the prices at Walmart are much higher.

    Good luck with your work schedule. I hope you get it straightened out. And if you et your kitchen cabinets stripped, be sure to post pictures!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Barbara: I go to Crests here in Edmond for groceries and do pretty well. Yes, I've been to Aldi as well. I think the quarter idea for returning the basket it clever! Haven't made it to the Unity Church yet, but I have a sorority sister who goes and has been wanting me to visit with her. One of these days...D

    ReplyDelete
  6. We dont have an Aldi's nor do we have a Hobby Lobby. Justin bought my Valentine gifts from a hobby lobby in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you have Aldi over there :)...... its a great shop to nip into.... I loves not being stitched up on prices......

    x

    ReplyDelete