Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I Don't Feel Like A Grandma

I feel too young to be a Grandma. Yet....I have had grand kids for 10 years now. Having my first grandchild in my mid 30's was a strange experience. When I think back on my Grandma Josephine....I remember her looking like a Grandma. She was a little old lady with white hair and sweet as could be and she would be knitting, sewing, baking cookies or making jam. Unfortunately my Grandma died when I was a teen so I didn't get to know her as well as I would have liked to. Since she did not have kids till her older years (well old for those days) I never remember her not looking old except in pictures. I wonder if my Grandma felt old when she first had grandkids. As her first grandchild I wonder if she felt she was not ready to be a Grandma like I did. I was barely done having kids myself when my first grandson was born. My son was only 14 months old when his nephew Joseph came into the world. I may be in my late 40's now but most of the time I don't feel any different than I did in my 20's. It' s like the body ages but the mind always stays the same. I wonder if I'll feel the same way 20 years from now? Or 40 years?

1 comment:

  1. Here! Here! Although I am not yet a gramma (2 college age daughters means I may not be far behind), I know that in my mind, I am the same goofy kid I was in highschool!

    People who knew me then (or not) have commented that I am still "fun." I guess that's because I never afraid to make an a** of myself.

    Now, if I could just get my mother's body out of my mirror in the morning!

    ReplyDelete