Sunday, October 28, 2007

Weather wise today was a beautiful day. Sunny, a little bit breezy and nice and cool. Just the way I love it. I started making a compost pile (and have the blisters to prove it) for the big garden I would like to have next year. There are tons of leaves in the yard and I wanted to get to them before Russell mows the grass. With all the rain we've had the grass is once again nice and green but long! Hint, hint Russell. Anyhow I need to do some research on what to put in a compost pile. I know I can use leaves, grass clippings, vegetable peels, eggshells, coffee grinds and more. I need to see what the red clay soil in this area is lacking in. It's funny though some areas of the dirt are nice and brown and rich and others are clay. Near the trees is where the good soil seems to be but I can't plant there if I want sun. I'd like to have some type of raised beds if possible. We had a garden a couple of years ago but it did not do that well because of the soil. I remember when I lived in NM it took a year or so to get the soil in good condition and having a compost pile really helped.
We have talked about getting some laying hens (I really want them!) and some goats for milking. We live in area where lots of people have livestock. Since I heard cows mooing behind the woods here and a rooster crowing I know this is true. If i had my way I'd get a sheep too for the wool. I'd love to be able to knit with wool that I spun myself. That would be so awesome.
My son and I had a nice relaxing afternoon. We watched an old movie (Leprechauns) that we already had. It's a cute story about a leprechaun that falls in love with a fairy which is a big no no. The fairies and the leprechauns are at war but all ends well. :)
All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment