Monday, November 16, 2009

Update

Yikes, it's been awhile since I've written anything on here, or read any other blogs for that matter. I've been trying to get used to my new job in the bakery. It's a lot of work....way more work than I am used to doing. It's go, go, go every single minute. Before I started, they did not tell me I'd be the only person in that area of the bakery. There are supposed to be two people there, one full time and one part time. That is why it has been so rushed. I prepare the donuts, turnovers, cinnamon rolls, cookies, strudels and other various pastries. There are time limits as to when everything has to be on the shelves. I have had many frustrating days trying to get the hang of everything because there's a lot to learn. Today was actually the first day where I accomplished everything on time and without any problems. One of the problems is that I've had 3 different people teaching me how to do it and they all do it differently. So instead I'm going to use what works for me.
The people there are great....they are all really nice. They are all women except for one old guy. I asked him how he likes working with all these women and he said he tries to just ignore them. He was kidding of course. There's one other guy but I don't really see him because he comes in later in the day and I only work till 1:00 pm. I like the hours too. I don't have any problem getting up to go to work at 4 am but it is hard for me to fall asleep early. Last night I took some Valerian root and drank this tea called sleepy time but it didn't really make much of a difference. It does seem to help a bit when I take some melatonin.
It hasn't helped any that I gashed my big toe open just after I started in the bakery. It was excruciatingly painful to even walk for a couple of days and after about 2 weeks it's still sore but getting better. I did it outside when I was going out to Russell's truck one night in the dark and I tripped in the rut from his tires. I had sandals on but I still can't believe that I gashed it like I did from just tripping. Ouch.
After about 3 weeks of really nice weather it's started to get cold today. It went from being in the 60's and 70's to about 37 degrees today. That's a big drop. We may get some snow but I hope not. I can live without it. Growing up I lived in an area with so much snow and blizzards, I have had enough to last a lifetime. I won't miss it at all if I never see snow again.
I haven't really been doing much else. Russell ordered another one of those Netflix boxes for the bedroom. Now when we are not working, we won't even have to get up. Maybe we should put a fridge in the bedroom and that pink toilet. We'd be all set. We can save on energy since we'd be under the covers all day. Sound like a good plan?
I'm cooking dinner and it smells good. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and garlic bread. Or course it's all extremely low cal and super healthy right? haha
Well that's it for now. I'll try to be a good blogger and write more often. :)

One more very important thing. Happy belated birthday Tori!

5 comments:

  1. It always takes time to get used to a new job. And everyone always does things differently. You're right to figure out what works for you and stick with that... As long as the job gets done it doesn't matter that much how it gets done, right?


    I dunno, I think having the toilet in the bedroom would be a bit off-putting when you wanted to do some things. ;)

    Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've had A LOT to learn! So you've done really well to learn all that in three weeks with a cut toe giving you grief at the same time and not getting as much sleep as you're used to. Good job, lady! Once it becomes old hat (and I agree that you should do what works well for you, too, BTW) I bet the time will just fly when you are busy like that every day. It has to be nice to be working a job where you can actually see what you have accomplished, you know? Right before your eyes and nose. Could almost smell them! You're learning a specialized skill as a baker, too. Sounds good all around and nicer people to deal with every day, too! But--don't forget to get out of bed, you two, on your days off. Even if just for a little while. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knew you'd find a way to recycle that pink toilet!

    :)

    Sorry to hear about the toe - ouch! But I am happy to hear you are much happier making the donuts!

    ...and yes! we really don't need anymore snow - 'cept in the mountains and at the poles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. :)

    You made someone really happy - and it wasn't just the old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad this job is working out for you...and I know you must like not being on the cash register anymore. Take care and hope dinner was great, it sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete